World Environment Day 2022: History, theme, significance and quotes
WORLD Environment Day is celebrated on June 5 every year to remind people about the importance of nature. It is the biggest international day for the environment. Led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and held annually since 1973.
The environment in which we live can be understood as a blanket that keeps life on the planet safe and sound. It plays a vital role in keeping living things healthy. It provides food, shelter, air, and fulfils all human needs. Likewise, it maintains ecological balance on earth.
It is celebrated across the globe to respect and acknowledge everything that the environment has given us and to take the pledge that we will protect it. On this day, governments and normal citizens focus their efforts on a particular environmental issue to generate awareness.
HISTORY OF WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY
World Environment Day is one of the biggest annual events organised by the United Nations (UN) to generate awareness about the significance of nature and greenery. The United Nations Assembly established World Environment Day in 1972, which was the first day of the Stockholm Conference on the human environment.
In 1974, it was celebrated with the theme 'Only One Earth'. Since then, various host countries have been celebrating it, and the idea of rotating the center of these activities started. World Environment Day was first observed in 1974 in the US.
WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY 2022 THEME
World Environment Day 2022 is hosted by Sweden. “Only One Earth" is the campaign slogan, with the focus on “Living Sustainably in Harmony with Nature”.
World Environment Day is an occasion to think about how we are a part of nature and how intimately and unequivocally we depend on it for survival.
QUOTES THAT INSPIRE YOU TO CONSERVE THE EARTH'S HABITAT
- "We shall never understand the natural environment until we see it as a living organism. Today you can murder land for private profit. You can leave the corpse for all to see and nobody calls the cops." - Paul Brooks, Environmentalist
- "There must be a reason why some people can afford to live well. They must have worked for it. I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things we could use." - Mother Teresa
- "Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble". - Roger Tory Peterson, Naturalist, ornithologist, illustrator and educator
- "There's so much pollution in the air now that if it weren't for our lungs there'd be no place to put it all." - Robert Orben, Author
- "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed." - Mahatma Gandhi
- " The environment is no one's property to destroy; it's everyone's responsibility to protect." - Mohith Agadi, Author